Thursday, May 20, 2010

Easy Entertaining

In my weekly couponing online (in this case Smartsource.com), I found a 35 cents off Bob Evans sausage.  With double and triple coupons out there, this may be a great deal.  The coupon included a recipe.  Why print 3 or 4 coupons on a sheet of paper, when they can waste paper and ink by putting one on a sheet and adding silly pictures and recipes.  In every other case, it's annoying.  In this one, I admit I like the recipe.  It's called Sausage Cups.  The cool part is that the idea is great, the filling is just okay.  I see making the cups and putting a variety of fillings - crab dip, artichoke dip, ham and cheese, maybe even some cold options.  Prebake the wrappers and use them for tuna or chicken salad.  The ideas just keep coming. 

Here's the original recipe

Sausage Cups
Prep time 20 min
Cook time 15 min

1 pkg Won Ton wrappers
1 lb. ground sausage (roll)
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1.2 cup ranch dressing

Makes 30 cups

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Crumble sausage into medium skillet.  Cook over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.  Drain.  Spray mini muffin tins and insert won ton wrappers to form a small cup.  Bake 5 minutes in preheated oven.  Allow wrappers to cool.  Mix sausage, cheeses and ranch dressing together.  Fill won ton wrappers.  Bake for 10 minutes until bubbly.

I am actually getting hungry as I type this.  I would imagine a couple more minutes baking without contents, if you wanted them fully cooked for use with cold items. 

For a lower fat sausage recipe, swap the regular sausage with turkey sausage.  Add a diced red bell pepper as the sausage is finished cooking, stir with 1 1/2 cups of a chunky tomato sauce and top the filled won ton with shredded Parmesan cheese.  Man does that sound good right now.  I have to go.  I need to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment