Monday, June 28, 2010

Quaker Steak and Lube - Fear is not a factor!

For anyone with cable, or a hankering for hot wings, The Atomic Wing Challenge has somehow entered your consciousness.  You might not want to do it, but you have heard stories or seen episodes with people getting lit up on national television.  If you recall - my recent visit to East Coast Wings was intended as a warm up for this challenge.  Turned out to be a burn up!  It was hot.  What to do, what to do???


Well, sure enough, I ended up in Concord on Saturday and the thought entered my mind again.  There must be something seriously wrong with me.  After long deliberation (yes - with myself) I decide it's just not the wise thing to do right now.  I had a spicy curry the night before, so that might have had a little to do with it too :)

The second hottest wing on the list is "Scorcher" rated at 30,000 scoville units.  That seems like a hot afternoon without going up to 150,000 for the Atomic.  I ordered them as the V-8 combo, so there were 3 soft pretzels on the side for $9.99.  A good bit of food for the money.  In a daring move, we asked for a little of the Triple Atomic sauce (their newer one) to see just how rough it may be.  A finger dab to the center of the tongue and you know there's some punch in that stuff.  Still not as hot as ECW, but 5 wings versus just 1.  It's still gonna be harder to handle 5 saucey wings after the burn begins.

The Scorchers arrive and eat number 1.  Hmmm.  30,000 really?  Feeling a wee bit disappointed.  Now is it that the Atomic sauce numbed me perhaps?  I don't know.  What I can assure you is that the next wing got a heavy dose of  the Atomic sauce from the sample cup.  Now that baby woke up.  Of course that made the rest of them even more lack-luster. 

We had a fun waitress and the service and prices were quite good.  It was not too busy either, so I am sure that worked to our advantage.

So I think in all I got it backwards.  The Quaker Steak and Lube Atomic Wing Challenge will be easy compared to ECW's Insanity Wing.  It's like ripping off the band aid and then getting the shot.

Quaker Steak & Lube on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment