Thursday, February 16, 2012

The TOAST of Davidson is TOAST for dinner

So okay, I have written about Toast before.  Breakfast is one thing... Dinner deserves a separate post.  Now it's confession time - I have eaten dinner here 3 times.  I will incorporate a little from each, but mostly last night's visit.

So why wait you ask?  Fine, I will tell you, but briefly.  Visit 1 was en route to an event with my daughter and some friends.  I was so caught up in the company and conversation, I did not pay close attention.  The second time, there were a couple small hiccups.  Again, with company and conversation.  This visit was fully intended to share the experience with y'all. 

What really pleases me is that even in a high rent district like downtown Davidson, Toast offers a 3 course Prix Fixe menu at dinner (as well as a full menu).  Dinner is only served Weds- Sat.  Don't show up on the wrong night and blame me.  They have a diverse wine and beer menu as well, so this is not a lame attempt to tap a new market - they put on a complete experience in a cozy space that screams "date night". 

So my personal addiction is the Tilapia Provencal.  It's a great portion of fish on a bed of Parmesan risotto, topped with a warm tomato confit.  This tomato concoction is large chunks of roma tomatoes, with kalamata olives, red onion, capers with just enough liquid to be married together and not become a sauce.  It really makes the dish. 

Their Pot Roast is the mega meal deal.  It's a fantastic portion of "falling apart" beef, topping thick slices of carrots and some ridiculous mashed potatoes.  The portion has to weigh in over 2 pounds.  No lie.  You getting hungry yet?

The Chicken Marsala rivals mine.  Two nice breast portions sauteed with mushrooms in a marsala wine sauce, served atop mashed potatoes with green beans on the side.  My wife had a nice lunch today too.  Portions are not an issue.

Two other mains that I have had or tasted are the Salmon Carbonara and the Chicken Pot Pie.  Of all of them, the Salmon was my least favorite.  Don't get me wrong - it was fine.  I prefer one nice portion of salmon in any dish.  To make it carbonara-style, it was in smaller bites within the sauce.  The creamy base overtakes the character of the fish.  The pot pie was a surprise.  A crock chock full of meat and veg, with a big puff pastry top.  I have never seen or tasted one with this much prep work involved.  It's the best pot pie I have had hands down.

Now back to the prix fixe stuff.  Each comes with a salad or soup (love the wedge), your main (see above) and a dessert.  Those choice as of today are pumpkin cheesecake, a blondie a la mode, a great banana pudding, or a chocolate delight (in the brownie family).

Just to make sure I don't miss anything... Servers were on point and very friendly; we were seated promptly; the manager that night (Patrick) checked on us a couple times and had a ton of personality.  Ask him about delis!  The setting is as eclectic as Davidson and it is a perfect fit across from the green.

It's your turn
GO

Toast Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment